Still five years in its weird to think that I am a Mom and that Mothers Day includes me ! I never pictured myself being a mother but it is my most favorite title to carry in this life. I proudly wear my mom badge in all its messy, tired as fuck glory.
In my experience Mothers day can be sweet yet frustrating when it comes to the whole idea of it.My man, he is kind,sweet, laid back and puts up with my shenanigans.But he can not for the life of him get it together for mother’s day. Though im sure his intentions comes from a good place, they could be best described as clueless. He never plans anything and then the day of asks what I want to do. And when I respond with “I don’t want to have to think or make a decision for one day, I like you to plan something” he is dumbfounded. Which leads to more questions which in the end just defeats the whole idea of the day and leaves me frustrated.
So to all who have a mother, are married,partnered or dating a mother here are my top three tips on how to celebrate for Mothers day !
1.This day is for honoring the mothers in your life, so put some thought into it.Give a card and actually write in it. Underlining words already written and signing it does not count. Write actual words, memories, thank you’s and expressions of appreciation. Motherhood is a 24/7 thankless job, so I love a handwritten card full of sweet sentiments from my favorite people. Your thoughtful words will not go unnoticed, trust me. Especially in a digital world, giving a handwritten card is like receiving a rare piece of memorabilia.
2.Plan Something ! It doesn’t have to be a big tadoo But for the love of God ,DO NOT ask the mother who you are honoring what they want to do the morning of. I am a planner by nature so this just rubs me the wrong way. More than likely you know this person well. You know her likes,dislikes hobbies, favorite foods, Favorite places , dreams etc… So take that info and allow it to help you plan something special. Some examples I listed below
- Cook her favorite homemade meal
- Give her a quiet day to herself to read or watch a Netflix marathon ( Make sure you keep the kid’s out of her hair and from the house burning down)
- Pampered her with some time at the spa
- Plan a date (KID FREE)
- Picnic in the park
- Have a favorite picture, lyric, note or card framed
- Subscription to her favorite magazine,book club, newspaper or website
- Gift certificate to her favorite place to shop ! (mine is the Love Delphine Boutique)
3. Have the kids get involved ! Make sure the kids are honoring their mother as well. It’s important to lead by example and teach them how to love on their mom a little extra. I love when my son makes me a special craft, card,puts on little show or just tells me he loves me. These are the things and moments I find priceless and will cherish.
So there you have it ! Three tips on how to make the mother in your life feel like the queen she is. Thoughtful words and actions never go out of style. So when in doubt stick to simple, sincere and sweet ways to show them how much they mean to you.
Are you a new mom or mom to be ? Find out my top picks for books for baby showers and new babies here !